Thursday, February 25, 2010
ivf - day 45 - my follicles are ready + another new calf
I got up the nerve to get a photo of the monitor at my visit on Wednesday. This was my last E2 and ultrasound (yay!). I don't know why I felt it was a covert operation because I could have gotten a print out if I had just asked.
At each of my monitoring visits, the ultrasound tech, Patty, looks at my right and left ovaries and measures each follicle one by one. She calls out numbers like 11x15 or 12x13. I write them all down and then I meet with my IVF nurse, Jennifer to discuss it. She adds the two numbers and divides by 2 to get something like 13 and 12.5 for each follicle. When I have several that are at 18 or above, it's time to trigger ovulation. So, tonight, I took two shots of Ovidrel at 9:30pm. That medication induces ovulation exactly 36 hours after injection. So, my egg retrieval is scheduled 35 hours post-injection at 8:30am on Friday. In order to retrieve the eggs, they have to still be in the follicles.
Normal ovulation is very similar to this process. The body develops lots of eggs at the beginning of a cycle (actually, eggs are recruited for development about 3 months out), then somewhere along the way, one surpasses the others and that's the one that is ovulated at about 18mm. I've read that it's rare for an egg less than 15mm to produce a pregnancy. So, whether it's the IVF process developing lots of eggs or the body in a natural process, the egg has to be to a certain level of maturity before pregnancy can occur.
Today, I go back for E2 but not monitoring. And, the best news of all, NO INJECTIONS TOMORROW!!! I get a free day before diving headfirst into progesterone injections later this week.
Considering we have a busy week already, our cows haven't exactly been helping us any. Saturday, #1 had a cow. Then, yesterday about 1:00, Greg ran down the barn steps with binoculars in hand saying, "You need to come look at this! You may never see something like this again!" So up I ran and looked out the front window into the wooded area where #7 (the cow we thought would have a calf first) was standing. Obviously in labor.
Well, that went on and on and on.
Jared, a college kid from church, was helping me with some Studio Calico work, but quickly diverted his attention to helping Greg with the cow. He was in nursing scrubs from his clinical rotation, so he donned my dad's carhart overalls, coat and hat and headed out.
Then, around 5:00 we decided to call the vet and get her up.
If you're not used to farm-speak, you might think "get her up" means to make her stand up, but you'd be wrong. "Get her up" means to get her up in the pen and in the chute, where we can pull a calf if need be.
The vet came at 6:00 but it took awhile to get her up.
So, it was around 8:00 before she was in the chute and he could palpate her. If you don't know what that means, I'm not explaining that one.
She was fully dilated and tired, so they made the decision to pull the calf.
Thankfully, it all worked out, momma and baby are fine and resting in some hay because it's cold tonight.
We'll check on them this morning and hopefully the calf will be on the boob-tube as Jared would say. I plan to take photos, but it was dark last night, so not the best opportunity.